The National Institute of Ophthalmic Sciences (NIOS) is the academic arm of The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital (THONEH) which was set up in 1997 under the auspices of THONEH in line with its objective of providing education and research programmes to enhance the development of the quality and excellence in continuing medical education, thereby providing for a better quality eye care in the country and the region from time to time.
To be a centre of excellence
- For undergraduate and post graduate to obtain a specialist or higher specialist training in Vision Sciences
- In the provision of state-of-the-art eye-care services
- In promoting education and cutting-edge research in Vision Sciences
- For the formulation of policies in the practice of eye-care and development of the profession
‘To be a centre of excellence, producing highly motivated and accomplished eye-care practitioners capable of influencing professional eye-care practice worldwide’
We believe that individuals with an interest and aptitude for knowledge in Vision Sciences, if well trained with a commitment to this profession, he / she will be able to play a significant role in their society, the nation and the world at large.
- Bachelor of Science in Optometry (4+0 degree) (MQA, A-7179)
- Certificate in Ophthalmic Medical Personnel (2+0 degree) (MQA, A-9658 )
- Post-Basic Ophthalmic Nursing (MQA KA 11461)
- Foundation in Science (upcoming)
- Certificate of Ophthalmic Assistant (upcoming)