YAYASAN THONEH (also known as THONEH Foundation)
The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital was estalished in 1986 as a not-for-profit organisation, by the Malaysian Association for the Blind (MAB), as an extension of its prevention of blindness activities.
In 1998, the Hospital set up the Community Service Unit, conducting Eye Screenings and performing Eye Surgeries nationwide. The Hospital is foremost in Prevention of Blindness in Malaysia, by our team of dedicated Doctors and Staff who travel the width and breath of Malaysia for Eye Screenings and to perform Eye surgeries.
The Eye care services provided by the Community and Welfare services are as follows:
- Primary School Children Free Spectacles Project
- Free Cataract Surgeries Project
- Complimentary Outpatient Services at The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital for the Visually Impaired Persons
- Complimentary / Subsidised Inpatient Services at The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital
- Complimentary Malaysian Association for the Blind (MAB) Family Clinic for the Visually Impaired persons and their immediate family
- Complimentary Low Vision Clinic for the Visually Impaired Persons
- Eye Care Seminar for Kindergarten Teachers
The Yayasan THONEH (also known as THONEH Foundation) was set up on 26 February 2016 to further the social welfare activities’ capabilities, capacities and reach of the Community and Welfare services.
- To make healthcare, education, sports activities and other quality of life enhancing activities affordable and accessible for visually impaired persons.
- To make medical and education in areas of Ophthalmic Sciences and supporting fields affordable and accessible to the general public.
- To raise the standard of living for visually impaired persons.
- To raise the awareness of vision related problems within the public.
- To support students pursuing studies in Ophthalmic Sciences or other related areas.
- To source funds for activities of the Foundation.
- To improve and enhance the living standards of persons with vision problems in all areas, particularly of healthcare, education and employment opportunities.
- To catalyse the creation of a knowledge society on the prevention of vision problems in Malaysia and its avoidance thereof.
- To financially and academically support students pursuing education in the field of Ophthalmic Sciences or other related areas at the National Institute of Ophthalmic Sciences (NIOS) or its associated organisations.
- To raise funds for the needs of the Foundation to further its objectives.
THONEH’s corporate social responsibility (CSR)
THONEH’s CSR activities though shared between its various arms and departments, are mainly under the purview of the THONEH Foundation. Each are responsible for supporting the objectives of THONEH namely,
- Educating the general public on various eye disorders and methods to prevent unnecessary loss of vision
- Bringing professional eye healthcare to those in needs from lower income groups
Assistance through these welfare services fall within the purview of the THONEH Foundation.
- For In-patients
- Provision of either a full waiver or partial subsidy of fees for patients who are in need of financial assistance.
- These include procedures and/or treatments to restore eyesight or maintain it from further deterioration.
- Patients eligible for this assistance are the rural and urban poor (low income group) and also visually impaired persons registered with the Jabatan Kebajikan Malaysia’s Orang Kurang Upaya – Penglihatan.
- For Out-patients
- The visually impaired registered with the Jabatan Kebajikan Malaysia’s Orang Kurang Upaya – Penglihatan receive free out patient services.
- These include out patient visits, consultations and medications.
- The main types of activity by THONEH since its inception, these services are catered for the benefit of everyone nationwide.
- General public forums are regularly conducted to share information and knowledge about various eye diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic eye changes, cataract, retinopathy and macular degeneration. These forums also include the importance of eye care and prevention methods to reduce the risk of loss of vision.
- Eye screening and corrective procedures are provided every 2-3 months to patients in rural areas lacking access to eye care, with the use of a mobile eye clinic and operating theater. Common surgeries performed are for cataracts and pterygia.
Primary school children screening and supply of free spectacles project
- Currently a THONEH Foundation activity, its objective is to expand on the prevention of blindness activities through early detection.
- Two optometry experts, four assistants and a Community Service Officer conduct annual eye screenings at pre-determined primary schools.
- Children requiring corrective measures are provided spectacles.
Support THONEH’s cause
Corporate Partnership Program
As a non-profit welfare entity, THONEH welcomes contributions by our corporate users via the Corporate Partnership Program, which fulfills part of the THONEH Foundation’s mission of acquiring funds to further expand on THONEH’s objectives.
All contributions through the Corporate Partnership Program are tax exempted.
One off contribution
One off contributions is also accepted by THONEH.
- Money order or cheque made payable to Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital
- Credit card
All cash donations are tax deductible within Malaysia. Please provide your details for the issuance of a tax exemption receipt.
Contact the fundraising team for any queries or clarifications:
Phone: +603-7718 1588 (Appointment) / +603-7718 1488 (Hotline)